Thursday, October 13, 2011

One Persons Junk is Another Person's Treasure....




I cannot drive past a garage sale without stopping and looking. You never know what you may find. I did really good a few weeks ago on some beads and sewing stuff. But...have you ever been to an estate sale? You can find really nice stuff really cheap. I have found a few websites that lists estate sales in your area. I am going to be going maybe next weekend. This weekend is a little tight since we just found our one of our toilets has been leaking and running...and we ended up with a huge utility bill...yikes...so we will try our luck next weekend. Of course Gator has no idea that we are going to go. But he wont mind he loves old stuff too.

Find Estate Sales

Estate sales

24-7 Estate Sales

For those who think oh yeah I go to garage sales all the time so it's the same stuff..NO..it's not...

An estate sale by definition is a sale held to dispose of a substantial portion of the materials owned by a person who is recently deceased. 
Most of the time the deceased would have been an elderly person. Probably someone that has lived in the same house for 30+ years. That house will be filled with tons of vintage treasures. Furniture, clothes, dishes, books, pictures; everyday items.... but everyday 40 years ago. Also, most women in the 1960's, 70's, etc. stayed home and raised their family. They had much more time and less retail options so they made things. Original vintage items ( you know I love vintage! ) All of these great things are then taken out and sold. Probably for much less than what it meant to that person back then. This part makes me a little sad BUT every time I buy something from an estate sale I think of it as me giving it a new home and a new spot for people of another generation to see and use. But you have to be in control. And not go crazy with buying everything lol.
Most estate sales are put on by an estate sale company, not the family. The family will take everything they want then the company will come in and organize, appraise, price, etc... then hold the sale over a weekend.



Now....


A garage sale by definition is a sale, sometimes known as a yard sale, rummage sale, moving sale, or junk sale... an event for the sale of used goods by private individuals. Typically the goods are unwanted items from the household with the home owners conducting the sale.
"Unwanted items from the owner" aka used fitness equipment, scratched DVD's, stained baby clothes, half burned candles...you get the picture now. Yes sometimes you can find great stuff at garage sales. But for those vintage lovers like me you very rarely find anything.



And now here are some tips for making the most out of your estate sale treasure hunting....


1. The older the house the more vintage stuff. Like I said earlier, if the house is old it most likely means the person has lived there for decades. The longer you live in a house, the more stuff you collect. We normally purge when we move. If they have never moved, they have never purged. And that is good news.
2. Most sales run Friday thru Sunday and follow this pattern; Friday is full price, Saturday 25% off and Sunday 50 % off. I go on Fridays, purchase everything I can't live without and go back Sunday to see what is left.
3. Most companies have two rules: cash only and no children.
4. I always do a quick sweep through the house to see what the persons style was. Getting a feel for the persons interests helps me to know where the best stuff will be. Sewing machine=vintage clothes. Lots of pots and pans=lots of serving plates. Lots of make up=lots of jewelry.
5. While you are at the sale get on the companies email list. You will be first to get the addresses and see pictures.
6. This is not a tip. This is a rule. And it is a rule you should abide by.
Do not disrespect this amazing persons house or belongings. We are basically rummaging through their life.
Aretha said it best. R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Love me some Aretha any day!



What I love about going to estate sales is sometimes seeing something that reminded me of my grandmother and thinking I just have to have that...to keep the memories going. Also I am still looking for vintage Tupperware, salt and pepper shakers, cookbooks, cooking utensils, and other fun stuff I just got to have lol.


So go out there and find that little piece of vintage treasure just right for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment