Sunday, October 16, 2011

Green Beans, Red Potatoes and Bacon



As a child I was not a veggie lover. I hated green beans..well any kind of beans. Same with peas. But as an adult I believe our tastes change. For Thanksgivings my Mom would make the famous Green Bean Casserole. Then years later I moved down to Florida and got a taste of these wonderful beans. Sorry Mom but these are so good. I dont have a measured recipe but hopefully you can follow how I make them.

Half a bag of frozen green beans. I use cut or whole. I dont use those thin fancy french cut beans. Those are too thin.
1/2 lb of bacon diced
5-6 small red ( new ) potatoes
dried mince onions about a tsp
powdered garlic about 1/2 tsp or minced about the same or 1 tsp depending on you love of garlic
1 or 2 T of chicken bullion
water to cover beans bacon and potatoes
black pepper to taste

In a pot with a lid saute bacon till bacon grease is rendered and bacon is cooked but not crisp. Then add your frozen green beans. Then add enough water to cover the beans. I had to put 4 cups of water and then later added about another cup. Add dried onions, garlic, chicken bullion and pepper. Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer till beans are tender. Then add 5 small new potatoes diced or sliced up and then bring back to a boil. Cook till potatoes are tender. Like i said you might have to add some more water while its cooking.

I serve these sometimes just by themselves with some homemade biscuits. Sop up the broth with bread or any other type of roll or biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment