Sunday, November 7, 2010

Welcome to My Kitchen!

Hello everyone! Debi here. I have decided after being coached, to start a blog on recipes. I love to cook and have over the years compiled over 1,000 recipes. These recipes are from family, friends and on the internet. I even have started collecting vintage cookbooks. Going to our local fleamarkets here in Jacksonville I am always on the look out for those wonderful vintage cook books. My recent find was this one and it was only a dollar !
                                               The General Foods Kitchens Cookbook





Its a hardcover book from the 50s. There are recipes in here that I am sure my grandmothers have made. I will be going through this book and selecting a few recipes to add here and to my new youtube cooking channel.




Alot of times family get togethers back then were special occasions or for just inviting friends over. Either way the food was presented to make it not only look good to eat but it was almost like a showcase.




My grandmother used to make a shrimp cocktail using a head of cabbage as her bowl. She would just hallow out the top of the cabbage head  and add Saucy Susan and cocktail sauce and pour that in the middle and then take her boiled shrimp and use those pretty toothpicks and place the shrimp all over the outside of the cabbage head. After the party was over she would take the cabbage head and make stuffed cabbage with the leaves. They were already a little marinated with the cocktail sauce and had a nice flavor to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment